|Protein||Starch / Healthy Carbohydrates||Vegetables – Non-starchy|
|Organic or Wild Fish
Oily (aim for 3 portions a week)
– Salmon, Sardines, Mackerel, Herrings
– Cod, Haddock, plaice etc.
– Crabmeat, Prawns, Oyster, Lobster
|Brown rice||Green leafy vegetable
– Salad greens, Spinach, Chard, Rocket, Kale, Collard Greens
Pak Choi. Etc.
|Organic Chicken||Wholemeal pasta||Cruciferous vegetable
– Broccoli, broccoli sprouts, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, turnip.
|Organic Turkey||Corn (gluten free if relevant)|
|Organic lean red meat
(max. 1 portion a week)
– Lamb, Beef
|Organic Eggs||Beetroot||Other vegetable:
– leek, onion, garlic, asparagus
– peppers, tomatoes, celery, aubergine, carrot, spring onion, green beans, courgettes, fennel, cucumber, mushrooms etc.
plus many others
|Organic Cheese (preferably goats or sheep)
– hard cheese, feta, ricotta, etc.
– red, green, brown
-red, green, brown
|Beans and peas
– Adzuki, Butter beans, Chickpeas and Hummus, Black-eyed, Pinto, Kidney beans, mung beans etc.
|Organic Tofu or Tempeh||Sweet Potato in skin|
|Nuts, raw and unsalted *
– Walnuts, Almonds, Pecan, Cashew, Hazel Nuts, Brazil nuts, etc.
(no more than 1 tblsp per day)
– Peanut, Hazelnut, Almond, Cashew etc.
|Potato in skin|
– Sunflower, Pumpkin, Sesame (and Tahini), Flax seeds
-100% wholemeal or rye bread
|Sprouted beans and peas|
|* Up to 2 tablespoons daily in total|
Setting up your plate this way:
- Reduces total calories since vegetables have 1/3 the calories of protein and starch
- Increases intake of nutrients for heart health & cancer prevention: ie antioxidants, B vitamins, phytochemicals & fibre
- Reduces saturated fat & total carbohydrate intake which is beneficial for patients with heart disease or diabetes
- Keeps you satisfied with a full plate of food
Get as much variety as possible everyday, to get all your nutrients